History Newmarket Town Report 1920
Article 5 - To see what sum of money the town will vote to raise and appropriate for a memorial bandstand. At the Town Meeting in March 1920, a vote was taken and the sum of $1,000 was appropriated by for the Memorial Bandstand, and $400 was appropriated for Band Concerts.
Newmarket Town Report 1921
Article 6 - To see what sum of money the town will vote to raise and appropriate to complete the Memorial Bandstand. At the Town meeting in March 1921, a vote was taken and the sum of $3,000 was appropriated.
Portsmouth Herald , July 5, 1923
BIG CELEBRATION HELD JULY 4 AT NEWMARKET
Bandstand in Memory of War Veterans Dedicated
Gov. Brown Gave Address
Newmarket was a live spot in Rockingham County on July 4th. The town carried out an observance of the holiday in one big time from sunrise to 10 p. m. Many people from the surrounding towns witnessed the celebration which was one of the best ever undertaken by the town.
It was made notable by the dedication at 10 a. m. of a memorial bandstand on which are tablets graven with the names of Newmarket men who served In the World War.
Gov. Fred H. Brown gave an address at the dedication. An ovation greeted his arrival. The dedication was preceded by a parade of patriotic and fraternal orders and was followed by sports. There were band concerts throughout the day and hundreds of toy balloons were given to children. From 5 to 10 p. m. there was dancing on a section of Main street aglow with lights. This was followed by a brilliant display of fireworks at the baseball park.
Portsmouth Herald 06/02/1941
Patriotic orders of Newmarket had a larger than usual turnout for the annual Memorial Day parade and services at the three cemeteries today. Flags flew from practically every home and families thronged the cemeteries to remember their dead.
The Eagle drum corps in their snappy new red, white and blue uniforms gave zest and color to the parade. Calixte Baillargeon, commander of the American Legion, led the parade, followed by the colors and a firing squad from Dort Constitution. The young girls who led the drum corps added a touch of color to the line of march. The legionnaires, auxilliary members, Sea Scouts and Bot Scouts, Sons of Legion, Girl Scouts, Woman’s Relief corps, ands Mrs. Mattie Durgin, Goild Star mother, composed the line.
Wreaths were placed at the bandstand, at the GAR monument on South Main Street and services were held at Calvary, Riverside and Old cemeteries. A military mass preceded the parade at Calvary cemetery where Rev. Hector A. Benoit, D.D. and Rev. J. Desmond O’Connor were in charge. Rev. Russell G. Schoffield pronounced benediction at the services following the parade at Riverside cemetery.
Portsmouth Herald 05/28/1943
Patriotic Services Start Early Monday
(Correspondent: Mrs. Norman O. Cllley; 58-2.)
Memorial Day exercises will begin Monday morning at 8 o’clock with a memorial mass at Calvary cemetery.
Both Rev. Hector A. Benoit and Rev. J. Desmond O’Connor will officiate at the services. Boy Scouts and American Legion members will attend in a body. There will also be a firing squad from the Portsmouth Navy yard.
Promptly at 10 o’clock a parade will leave the Memorial bandstand on Main street, march up Main Street, turning up Packer’s Falls road to Riverside cemetery, through the main gate, back to the river where the Woman’s Relief corps will conduct a ceremony by the water, then march around the lower side of the cemetery to the urn for the unknown dead where there will be other services.
Upon the sounding of assembly the parade will re-form at the gate and march back down Packer’s Falls road and down Main street.
High School Holds Memorial Exercises Newmarket High school held its annual Memorial day exercises today, in the school auditorium. The committee in charge of the program included Andrew March, chairman, and Arthur Nisbet and Norma Brisson,
The program consisted of a parade of colors by Boy Scouts; and a series of patriotic songs led by the music director, Miss Martha Walker. Guest speaker, Judge J.Bartlett Griffin, school committeeman, spoke on “Respect for Symbols of Democracy.”
Portsmouth Herald 11/03/1943
Newmarket To Honor Servicemen
(photo: first Roll of Honor was a printed signboard to the side of the bandstand)
Newmarket will dedicate a service flag and honor roll of 300 names of its men in the service with a parade and ceremonies tomorrow at 2:30 pm. The flag will bear two gold stars for Joseph A. G. Rousseau and Valmond R. Dube, whose parents will be honor guests at the ceremonies.
Preceeding the dedication ceremony, a parade win be held with, music by the Portsmouth Harbor Defenses band and featuring participation by servicemen, home on leave, discharged World War II veterans, American Legion and other organizations of the town Including, the Polish club, Eagles, Boy Scouts and Order of Pocahontas.
Charles H. Stevens is general marshal of the parade and Louis Filion will have charge of the raising of the service flag. The committee announced today that, in case of rain the dedication program will be, held in the Star theatre. The dedication program will open with an invocation by Rev. Hector A. Benoit, pastor of St. Mary’s Church.
Chief speaker will be Col. Edward W. Putney of the University for New Hampshire. Others on the program include Capt. Anthony Moschella from the Portsmouth Navy yard marine barracks and Lt. Cmdr. Henry Arnold of the Portsmouth Navy yard. Prayer will be offered by Rev. Chesley S. Lantz of the Community Church just prior to the unveiling of the honor roll at the band stand and the raising of the service flag which will be flown in front of the town hall.
Speakers will be introduced by Committee Chairman F. Albert Sewall who win first be introduced by Program Chairman Rev. J. Desmond O’Connor.
The Red Cross Canteen under its chairman, Mrs. Meta Branch, will serve lunch in the vestry of the Community church for the guest speakers, discharged veterans, men on furlough and members of the band. The honor roll will be brought up to date every three months the committee has announced.
Portsmouth Herald 11/14/1944
Dedicate Honor Roll at Bandstand
A new honor roll containing 372 names and seven gold stars was dedicated In special Armistice day services in Newmarket. The new flair will hang from its standard on the bandstand, where it will be more protected from the weather.
A parade by the Legion headed by Comander John Renzulla marched through Main street with their drum and buttle corps and their color guard setting the pace. At the stand the regular Armistice day ritual was performed before a speech entitled “Armistice Day” by Rev. J. Desmond O’Connor, with remarks by Selectman Lewis Flllon and by Charles H. Stevens
Portsmouth Herald 09/12/1945
Town Clebrates V-J Day
Newmarket formally observed V-J Day Sunday with a parade to mark the end of World War II. Under the direction of the Robert G. Durgin post, American Legion, the parade formed in front of the bandstand on Main street, marched, up and back down Main street to the bandstand where further ceremonies were held.
A group of four horsemen from a riding school in Greenland led the procession
with the Legion, auxiliary unit, school children, the Happy Workers 4-H club of boys.
Lamprey aerie of Eagles, the drum corps. Red Men. Troop 200 of the boy scouts and the Polish club carrying a large flag recently presented to the club by Carl Millette.
The Rev. J. Desmond O’Connor was master of ceremonies at the bandstand. Addresses were made by the Rev. Chester S. Lantz, pastor of the Community church. Lewis Filion of the board of selectmen, the Rev. Hector A. Bonoit of St. Mary’s church, and Lt. Col. Joseph F. Daly of the University of New Hampshire.
Portsmouth Herald 11/02/1950
Newmarket GOP Plans Reception
Republican candidates scheduled to speak at a rally tomorrow noon at the bandstand in Newmarket will be given a reception in town hall at 1 pm.. Mrs. Royal Smith was appointed chairman of the reception, with the following assistants: Mrs.Carl A. Millette, Mrs. Bertram Walsh, Mrs. Harry Bassett, Mrs. Annie Colby, Mrs. Marion Griswold and Mrs. Benjamin Miller.
Portsmouth Herald 11/13/1950
Newmarket Presented Destroyer Name - Plate
A name-plate from a lend-lease British destroyer, the HMS Newmarket, was presented to the town of Newmarket yesterday afternoon during out-door ceremonies attended by town officials, navy officers and representatives of various veterans, civic and patriotic organizations.
(photo: The HMS Newmarket name-plate presented at the bandstand to the town; now housed at the Historical Society Museum)
Before L. C. S., Barber, British consul-general Boston, made the presentation, there was a parade down Main Street to the bandstand, The round name-plate, 12 inches in diameter, bears a horseshoe on a light blue field and weighs about 50 pounds. There is a white star in the center of the horseshoe. Capt: John Holmes, HN, Royal Navy attache in Washington, D. C, explained that the name-plate Is a symbol, of the town of Newmarket, England, which is well-known as a horse-racing center. Holmes reviewed the history of the HMS Newmarket and. other lend-lease destroyers.
Consul Barber presented the name-plate to George Hauschel, president of the Newmarket high school student council, and Kenneth Griswold, council vice president. Arthur H. Beauchesne, chairman of the board of selectmen, was master of ceremonies. The British consul also presented the ship’s logbook to the student officers. Capt. Leon N. Blair, USN, Portsmouth naval base chief of staff, also spoke. The various organizations attended church earlier In the day.
Portsmouth Herald 08/17/1977
Sidewalk fair on Aug. 20 Flea market part of 250th celebration set
NEWMARKET - The fifth annual Newmarket Sidewalk Fair will he Aug. 20 on the main street in Newmarket. The fair this year is being held in conjunction with the celebration of the 250th Anniversary of the founding of Newmarket.
There will be a full day of activilies, booths and displays starting with the ribbon cutting at the bandstand at 8:45 a.m. State Sen. Robert Preston of Hampton will be present to do the honors and will also be at the new Newmarket Day Care Center at 10 a.m. for the ribbon cutting ceremony officially opening the new facility.
(photo: Opening ceremonies for the 250th Celebration, Aug 1977)
Scheduled entertainment in Bandstand: at 8:45 a.m. ribbon cutting and official opening of fair; 10 Newmarket High School Band; 10:45, Cathcart and Culver, mime show; 11:15, Newmarket High School Band; noon, foam demonstration; 1 p.m.. Little Red Wagon, 2:45, Cathcart and Culver, mime show; 3:15pm is, B.J. Hickman, magician; 4pm Bill Morrissey, featuring his new hit single “Live Free or Die”; 4:45. trophy presentation for Newmarket 250th anniversary road race, 10,000 meters sanctioned by A.A.U. From 5 to 7 there will be a free block dance with entertainment by Lunch at the Dump.
(photo: Music once again plays during Old Home Days, Heritage festivals, and Summer Saturdays)
Our bandstand was originally proposed in 1920 as a War Memorial dedicated to the soldiers of World War I. Since it was built in 1921, it has been a focal point of the community. Previous town bands performed concerts, vendors sold their goods and there was “dancing in the streets”. It was a lively, social gathering for the citizens of Newmarket and surrounding towns.
(photo: Wayne Rosa touchup painting to the Roll of Honor)
Over time an Honor Roll was erected listing those who served in World War II. Photos show that a rudimentary Honor Roll was placed on the outside of the bandstand. A newer Honor Roll was constructed within the bandstand and attached to the back decorative railing. Plaques were later added to the front of the bandstand to commemorate veterans who served in the Korean and Vietnam War. The Korean and Vietnam plaques list no names.
The Trust has been working on the necessary plans for The Newmarket Bandstand Memorial renovation. These renovations include: painting, re-pointing bricks, wiring, drainage and landscaping. These renovations are more than a “face lift”, as they are essential for the integrity of the structure. An engineering report can be viewed at the Town Administration Office. Once Phase I of the downtown renovation was completed, the committee ordered a full inspection of the columns, detailing and roof.
Funding for the Bandstand Memorial will be sought from various sources over the next few years: community contributions, outside historical grant monies, as well as Capital and Trust Fund monies.
We have received community support in returning the bandstand to its original use as a downtown focal point for concerts and dances. As witnessed by the success of this summer’s downtown musical performances, the appreciation for the use of this structure is as heartfelt in 2010 as it was in 1920.
The Stone School Museum, built in 1841, as a two-room schoolhouse, and now home to the New Market Historical Society, is located high upon Zion’s Hill on Granite Street. Hours of operation are in our program of events and are on our web page and Facebook. If you need further information, please call 603-659-3289 and leave a message or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Your inquiry will be returned as soon as possible.
$17 for members, $19 for non-members
Books available and can be purchased on line with PayPal—or contact us via email at
If shipped — an additional shipping & handling fee of $4 applies.
All proceeds from the sale of this book by the New Market Historical Society help the preservation of our collection.
We greatly appreciate your membership and donations, and look forward to seeing you at our meetings and events. Members receive free admission to all our meetings and non-members can attend most meetings and events for free. Please make it a point to introduce someone new to one of our events.