|Date, Time, Location||Program and Description||Presented By|
Town Library on Elm Street
When Shipping was King:
Associate Professor of History, University of New
Stone School Museum
Handling of Historic Collections
Many of the articles in our collection at the Stone School Museum are 150 or more years old. Our goal is to make sure that they are around for future generations to learn from and enjoy. Join Board Member Michael Provost as he demonstrates techniques and protocol for handling and moving historic glass, furniture, tools, wooden items and textiles acquired in working as a guide at the Langdon House in Portsmouth for Historic New England. Learn what to look for as signs that items are in need of conservation or special attention. This is NOT a conservator program, but intended to help preserve and protect our collection by proper care in handling. Sign up to earn a Stone School Museum Collection Certification in working at the museum and with our collections (a three hour directed hands on common internship will be required for the Stone School Museum Collection Certification, to be scheduled at a date for your convenience, majority rules).
Michael Provost is a long time Newmarket resident, Life Member of the Historical Society, and principal in Lamprey Heritage Tours, which offers the everpopular "Murder, Mischief, Mishaps and Mayhem...Tales of Old Newmarket" haunted tours in October of each year.
Carpool from the Stone School Museum at 10:00 AM, or meet in front of the Athenaeum in Portsmouth at 10:30 AM.
The Athenæum is located at
To view more about the Athenaeum, go to their website at: http://portsmouthathenaeum.org/
Field Trip: Portsmouth Athenæum
This year, the Board of Directors continues the New Market Historical Society tradition of featuring an annual Field Trip for members and guests to a place of historic interest. On Saturday, May 18 we will carpool from the Stone School Museum at 10:00 AM sharp, to the Portsmouth Athenaeum, which was founded in 1817 as a private gentleman's library. Enjoy a guided tour of the reading room and collections from one of the "Keepers" and then adjourn for a "Dutch treat" luncheon in one of downtown Portsmouth's many dining establishments.
The Portsmouth Athenaeum - The Athenæum's slender, four-story Federal-style building at 9 Market Square, designed by New Hampshire native builder-architect Bradbury Johnson, was completed in 1805 for the New Hampshire Fire and Marine Insurance Company. It is the centerpiece of a row of brick commercial buildings framing the historic city square and its façade is distinguished by tall, arched first-story door and window openings, four attenuated pilasters with composite capitals, and sweeping cornices. The 1805 Building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on May 24, 1973. The library first occupied rented rooms and free garret space in Portsmouth until 1823. In that year, faced with the impending dissolution of the insurance company, a group of subscribers to its newspaper reading room purchased the insurance company building and transferred it to the Athenæum in return for newly issued shares. The first floor continued to be a reading room, while the Athenæum's books and museum objects moved into the building's upper floors, which had originally housed St. John's No.1 Masonic Lodge.
The first floor of the building has been a reading room since it was built for the insurance company in 1805. In an 1879 memoir, Proprietor Frank W. Hackett wrote: "It was the custom of the prominent business and professional men of the town, with a sprinkling of retired sea captains, at the close of the business day to drop into the Athenæum for a social chat. Here, minds of diverse training and habits of thought got the benefit of mutual attrition [sic], the scholar coming down from the library to compare his views with that of the man of affairs; and conversation took on the character of an interchange of ideas, never degenerating into mere idle gossip."
This field trip is graciously underwritten by Lamprey Heritage Tours
Stone School Museum
New Hampshire and the Civil War
During this past year, Mr. Toland has been working on Newmarket's civil war veterans using the NH Adjutant General's records and regimental histories, as well as newspaper articles. He discovered the Newmarket Civil War section of our website, and incorporated that information with other data compiled by the Newmarket Veterans Memorial Trust to incorporate with his research.
His Newmarket booklet of Civil War stats & info on town sailors and soldiers is the 68th such booklet he has written. He will be presenting his finished work to the New Market Historical Society with this May's program on "New Hampshire's experience in the war effort".
Mr. Toland calls himself "an amateur historian who is fascinated with the New Hampshire's role in the Civil War." He is currently working on several Civil War publications, and he recently completed pamphlets for the towns of Bedford, Hooksett, Newfields, Plainfield, and Unity. He is a civil war re-enactor who has presented his rendition of an 1863 New Hampshire Civil War enlistee in Bedford and Deerfield, as well as a two-week program at the Granite State College of Lifelong Learning in Manchester. His message --"... the blood of soldiers paid the redemptive price for the national sin of slavery and the machinations of politics". He has also performed at the Bedford Library and with the Bedford Cemetery tour. He will appear in 1863 uniform & bring a few collectibles to view, such as his period weaponry, a Civil War Springfield musket with bayonet.
In keeping with the Civil War 150th anniversary, May 1863 marks two battles: Chancellorsville, and the Siege at Port Hudson -- battles fought by Newmarket soldiers:
Siege at Port Hudson: Privates Greenleaf Keniston (Co. D., 8th Infantry) and Alanson Haines, Nathaniel Robinson, George Taylor, John Palmer, "Free" Charles Dockum, Eben Joy, James Nealley, Charles Perkins, George Taylor, Richard Wyman, and Sgt. John Hanson (Co. D., 15th Infantry) - Dockum wounded in Battle.Photos courtesy Vincent Toland Jr.
Vincent Toland Jr.
Manchester resident and military historian, Vincent Toland, Jr., is a Civil War re-enactor, with a specific interest in New Hampshire's Civil War soldiers. He has compiled statistics, profiles of soldiers, rosters of soldiers and honor rolls which he subsequently donated to local libraries & historic associations throughout the State.
6:00 PM (NOTE - special time!)
Stone School Museum
Ice Cream Social and Trip Down Memory Lane
Please join the New Market Historical Society Board of Directors at 6:00 PM, prior to the business meeting, for an old-fashioned ice cream social. Get into the spirit by sporting your best parasol, ruffles, straw boaters and knickers, and enjoy a convivial time as we gather for a summer treat outdoors before the meeting. Long a favorite summer pastime of days gone by, bring a lawn chair and enjoy building your own special sundae, along with some old-fashioned outdoor activities.
Suggested donation of $3.00 per person goes towards ongoing support of the collections and maintenance at the Stone School Museum. At 7:00pm we will adjourn for our regular but brief business meeting, followed by a group discussion lead by Board Members, as we visit the plethora of social organizations that existed in old New Market and take a special look at some of the artifacts in our collection. Introduction by Board Members and a facilitated discussion. Learn about the raucous 4th of July Celebrations that Newmarket was once noted for.
Our website has a large photo collection of Newmarket's many civic organizations here.
New Market Historical Society Board of Directors
Stone School Museum
The Last Mills of Newmarket
The redevelopment of the Newmarket Manufacturing Company mills has been in the works for more than twenty years. Mike Lockhardt has been gathering material which will be used in a documentary about these mills. He has just wrapped up nearly two years of intense photo and video journalism, documenting the last set of buildings “J” through “N” as they are put back into use. These buildings include three of the original mills of NMC. Mill number 4 built in 1869, Mill number 2 built in 1825 and the mill that started it all, mill number 1 circa 1824. We hope you will enjoy a peak behind the scenes as The Last Mills of Newmarket are brought into the twenty first century.
Photos courtesy Michael Lockhardt Sr.
Michael Lockhardt Sr.
Michael A. Lockhardt Sr, has been creating digital content for CD and DVDs, the internet and for television, for more than a decade. The mills have always held a certain fascination for him. He “didn't have to think twice about undertaking this project”, but did admit he “woefully underestimated the commitment he had to make to a project of this size and scope”, and “I would do it again in a heartbeat.”
Stone School Museum
The Call of The Lamprey
How do you take a simple old program and turn it into a full-fledged production? This is the story of Sylvia Getchell, sharing a souvenir program donated to the New Market Historical Society with an impressionable young man, back in 1970, which came full circle nearly thirty years later. Join us as Michael Provost explains his story behind tracking down information and researching material over two years regarding production of the original 1927 production of “The Call of The Lamprey.” “The Call of The Lamprey” was a cornerstone of the first Newmarket Heritage Festival, produced on July 25 of 1998 in the outdoor amphitheater at Landroche Field.
Learn what new material came to light, what needed to be cut, and how the new material was incorporated into the revival production “ with respect to the original authors: Martha Chadbourne Kettelle and Nellie Palmer George”. How we paid homage to the original dryads and learn what a dryad is anyway! As part of the presentation we will enjoy viewing Act II of the revival production, which was videotaped by Richard LaBranche.
Special Thanks to Spires Video Services in Dover for salvaging a portion of the original videotape from 19998 and cutting it onto a CDs
Michael Provost is a long time Newmarket resident, Life Member of the Historical Society, and principal in Lamprey Heritage Tours, which offers the ever-popular “Murder, Mischief, Mishaps and Mayhem. Tales of Old Newmarket” haunted tours in October of each year.
Stone School Museum
What The Heck Is It and Appraisal Night
The Professor, John Bruno, of PBS Market Warriors
John Bruno comes to MARKET WARRIORS well prepared, as he and his wife Tina truly embody the flea market and vintage lifestyle. According to John, "virtually everything in our home is a flea market, thrift shop, yard sale, or antique shop find!" He is an industry veteran, having been an antiques and collectibles dealer for more than 40 years as well as an appraiser for more than 25 years. Along with his wife, he runs Flamingo Eventz, one of the largest antiques show promotion organizations in the Northeast. John specializes in appraising 19th to 20th-century American home furnishings, glassware, dinnerware, pop culture memorabilia, and vintage clothing. A native New Yorker, John currently lives in Rochester, New Hampshire. John's Belief: "Buy an object because you love it, want to learn from it, and because you want to preserve it."
Home Base: Rochester, New Hampshire
Day Job: Antiques Dealer & Appraiser
Please note that a $10 admission
Stone School Museum
Paranormal Activity at the Old Stone School
"If it moves…take a picture of it; If it speaks…get a voice; If it touches you…run like hell!
The Northeast Paranormal Association (NEPA) uses a medium, as well as a variety of electro-magnetic, digital sound, heat and motion detection devices, and is always open to the possibilities of using new scientific equipment in their investigations. They are the official GAC (Ghost Adventure Crew) in the northeast for the Travel Channel's Ghost Adventures television program. A visit to their website http://www.nepanh.com will show examples of evidence they have collected from Bucco's Tavern, Kingston; Governors Inn, Rochester; Sandown Old Meeting House; Hampstead Cemetery; and Star Island, Isles of Shoals. They have also done investigations at Murkland Hall at UNH, and the Gonic Mills. Last year, they visited Newmarket for the first time, and presented two investigations: one attempting to decipher the afterhours activity at the Town Hall, and the second was at the Stone Church with its amazing history and a spirit who likes to leave pennies behind.
The activity atop Zion Hill, gave rise to them doing an investigation here at the old Stone School Museum. The Museum was originally built as a school (using rubble stone construction) which opened in 1843 on land donated by the Newmarket Manufacturing Company in 1841. It was the oldest school building in the State of New Hampshire when it closed in 1965. It was bought for a dollar in 1966 and became the home of the New Market Historical Society. Since then it has become home to hundreds of items (all donated by families with Newmarket roots) of Town memorabilia -- appliances, tools, and artifacts from the last two centuries. Over the past year, the NEPA held three investigative sessions at the Museum which unveiled an unforeseen detail concerning an accidental death in 1949. During this demonstration of Paranormal 101 a medium and investigative staff members will discuss communication with the spirit world as they take you on a tour of the Museum using their scientific equipment and techniques. Special other-worldly refreshments will be served after the presentation.This program is free to New Market Historical Society members; however, there is a $10 admission fee for non-members. (Non-members will be able to join before the presentation begins).
Paranormal 101 presented by the Northeast Para Normal AssociatesThe Northeast Paranormal Association (NEPA) is a team of dedicated professionals who let the facts drive the conclusions. They travel throughout New England trying to unravel the inexplicable. They investigate each location via a lockdown, after researching its history, talking to local experts and interviewing people who have witnessed alleged paranormal activity. They believe in debunking potential evidence and will call it unexplained if they can't conclude that it may be paranormal.
11:00 AM to 7:00 PM
Stone School Museum
Holiday Open House at the Stone School MuseumBring your friends and neighbors to the Stone School Museum and enjoy it all decked out in holiday finery. Learn about the history behind many of our holiday traditions, enjoy refreshments, readings from old diaries, impromptu caroling, roasting chestnuts, a special display of old toys from our collection, and an old-time taffy pull at 4:00pm. Don't forget to shop for Newmarket keepsake gifts. Look for the full day's schedule of events here, on our website and on .
Presented by the Board of Directors and members of the New Market Historical Society